Friday, March 16, 2007

There are some risks involved in MYBLOGLOG service

MyBlogLog is not only tracking visits from other MyBlogLog members to your site (if you’re using the service) they are also tracking clicks on your ads, INCLUDING Adsense ads.

I can’t speak for other users, but certainly when I signed up for the service I don’t remember anything being clearly mentioned about MyBlogLog spying on the ad clicks on my site.

Certainly, other 3rd party trackers do track this sort of behavior. I use Adlogger on a number of sites to track my clicks and to protect against click fraud, but notably I choose to do so and I run my own copy locally so that only I have control over the data it gathers. Services such as Alexa, Google Toolbar (both of which I use via the searchstatus plugin) and Compete send data on my surfing habits back to their respective companies, but they send MY data back, not the data of visitors to my sites, and I OPT IN TO those services, knowing to well the implications of doing so. MyBlogLog on the other hand is spying on my visitors (which I accept) but also their activity on each site (ad clicks), which I don’t accept. Notably I’ve also read recently (don’t have the link at hand) that prior to Yahoo’s acquisition of the company, MyBlogLog were trying to shop these stats to the highest bidder, so privacy of the data is questionable as well.

Are you using Adsense and MyBlogLog together? Remember the rule about not being able to disclose the CTR rates to third parties? MyBlogLog is gathering this exact data on your site if you’re using the service. Using Adsense with MyBlogLog could get you banned from Adsense!

As of 5 minutes ago I’ve removed MyBlogLog from my own personal blog. My Adsense account is too valuable to risk, and I’m outraged that MyBlogLog was stealing this data from my site. If you haven’t done so yet, I’d encourage everyone using the service to take it down immediately. For all it’s benefits (it’s still a fun idea) the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Tags: Yahoo, MyBlogLog


source-http://www.901am.com

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting point about adsense tracking... this post on the MBL blog *seems* to cover that off though...

http://mybloglogb.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/02/on_mybloglogs_a.html

They say "Google has acknowledged this feature (without protest)."

If the above statement is incorrect, then I'd be very concerned...

Nia here! said...

Thanks for the info. So I just need to remove the script that I inserted and then nothing will be tracked, with my consent/coperation. Okay dokay. There are so many ways already available for me to track this, no sense in jeopardizing FUTURE income (yeah, I'm a newbie). Take care.

Bibliophile said...

THERE IS AN OPTION IN EDIT SETTINGS TO OPT OUT FROM DATA COLLECTION.. I GUESS IT WOULD BE FINE ENOUGH

Salik Shah said...

Did know this. Thanks for the information. Anyways- I don't use Adsense.

Salik Shah said...

But I'll.

Jason Ng said...

...mmm... so, is the MBL script ok or not? Can the blog master make an opinion on this please?

Anonymous said...

are you serious? but... almost EVERY USER on mybloglog has adsense on their blogs...!

anyway, i just checked the url john lampard posted...

http://mybloglogb.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/02/on_mybloglogs_a.html

i guess it's not a problem.

Anonymous said...

===>> http://www.abid.in

Here's your chance to make $40,000 per month with
Adsense by being lazy.....


Wanna Find out How I, By Being a Lazy Ass Make $40,000/Month
(Yep, that's 40,000 USD) Every Month Like Clockwise From My Web.site.


===>> http://www.abid.in

The Website Is.

* Highly Optimized
* Content Rich
* Profit Pulling
* Fully Automated

Here's What You Get:

A Huge Money Making Website
Integrated with Adsense ads,
dynamic feeds and over a thousand content pages.


My Free Traffic Report
Methods I use to get a lot of traffic, almost instantly.

Free Email Tips
You will get some EXTRA tips on promoting your new website by email.

Setup and Hosting Help
Even though you get full easy to follow setup instructions.
If you still have trouble you can contact us
we will set up and host your website for you.


===>> http://www.abid.in

As an special offer, I am offering my complete Adsense Treasure System A fully automated website which makes you money while you sleep.

Finally a tool for you to make some serious money.

Get Your Copy Now... Click here

===>> http://www.abid.in

Ready Made Website



Instant YouTube Video Site Creator

Instant Video Sites

Money Making Video Script

Adsense Ready Video Script


Shah Rukh Khan

Bollywood

ShahRukhKhan



India's Online Shopping Mall

Online Shopping Mall

Buy Online


Link Directory
The Most Responsive FREE Safelist
Make Money Online
Master Resell Rights eBooks
Bollywood Sargam

Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create
this website yourself or did you hire someone to
do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. kudos

Take a look at my web site: hack twitter